Agnes Martin Gallery
Panoramic photo by Tina Larkin
The Agnes Martin Gallery at the Harwood Museum of Art is an octagonal gallery with an oculus installed overhead, and four yellow Donald Judd benches placed directly under the oculus. The gallery was designed according to the artist's wishes in order to accommodate Martin's gift of seven large paintings made between 1993 and 1994, when Martin returned to Taos. Frequently visiting the gallery, Martin would sit on one of the benches made by her good friend and quietly take in the space and paintings. Scholars have compared the Harwood Museum of Art's Agnes Martin Gallery to the Matisse Chapel in Vence, Corbusier's Chapel of Notre Dame du haut in Ronchamp, and the Rothko Chapel in Houston.
Agnes Martin (1912-2004) is one of America’s foremost abstract painters. Martin worked during a pivotal time in American art history. Although her work is often placed in the Minimalist camp because of its close association with work by other Minimalist artists, Martin resisted this label, insisting that she was an Abstract Expressionist painter. Martin’s passionate insistence on conveying emotional content rather than ideas - along with her unaffected striving for inspired inner truth, beauty and perfection - indeed place her within the aesthetic of Abstract Expressionism. The Whitney Museum of American Art is the only other museum that owns a series of Agnes Martin paintings meant to be exhibited together.
Go here to view a time lapse film created by Ollie Bell documenting a day in the life of the Harwood's Agnes Martin Gallery.
Jina Brenneman, Former Curator of Collections and Exhibitions (2008 - 2014)